View Single Post
Old
11-21-2010, 10:43 PM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

vCash: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
It's difficult to tell what games you watch.

Desharnais will ABSOLUTELY NOT bring the same defensive game as Pyatt. Pyatt was a TWO-time WJC champion, while Desharnais went undrafted. Not many players play on Team Canada at 18, usually just the top draft choices. But Pyatt was so strong defensively that he made the squad and did very well, too.

If you think Desharnais is SO FAST, then Pyatt is lightning. Desharnais' big problem is PRECISELY that he is NOT fast enough to make up for his incredible lack of size.

Will Desharnais be able to bring NHL level offence? I doubt it, but here I could be wrong. He might be another Grabovski, a player who can play 2nd line center on a WEAK team.

Not only do I prefer Pyatt to Desharnais (by a mile), but I'm not sure Desharnais can even generate more offence than Boyd or Darche at the NHL level.
Of course Pyatt is faster, it's his strongest point and it's why he's so great on the PK. Don't discredit DD's speed though because it's one of the big reasons he's managed a pro career at all. The difference between them is that Desharnais is really crafty offensively. He has a great hockey IQ and he'll set up plays and crash the net.

You make it seem as if I was bashing Pyatt but I wasn't, I like him as a player but at this point why would it hurt to get DD in to try a few games in his place? He could fill in for him on the PK (he plays PK with the dogs) and contribute much more offensively. We're not talking about benching first line players, there's no harm in switchin' around guys who are going to play under 10 minutes a game.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote