View Single Post
Old
11-22-2010, 06:48 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
I don't have time to go through the Dallas board to find the quotes this morning, but Richards has indicated at least two things about his free agency in the past few months.

1) Richards doesn't want as high a cap hit as his current deal, because the large cap hit forced him out of Tampa Bay (where he was apparently quite happy). No indication how low he's willing to go, but it appears that he'd rather have security (long term) than high cap hit. That is as much a bad thing as a good thing.

2) Regarding the security of a deal, he mentions "6 or 7 years" in the same place as a nice thing.

EDIT: Yes, buy out Drury, imo. You save $3.33m in 2011-2012 at the cost of $1.67m in 2012-2013 (when Rozi will be coming off the books). Well worth it to free up 3.33 in 2011-2012, imo. It's entirely possible that 2012-2013 ends up a lockout, too (hopefully not).
What does his agent say?

He also indicated this a few days ago

Quote:
For Richards, getting healthy again is one reason why he is back to scoring above a point-a-game clip for the second year in a row. But the other factor, he says, is just the passage of time - time he needed to adjust to his new surroundings, after being dug in with the Lightning for the first seven years of his career, and playing there with Vincent Lecavalier, a friend all the way back to their junior days together.

A couple of years there were really tough, acknowledged Richards. The change is what really got to me. It was a lot tougher leaving than I thought it would be. I was pretty engrained over there. You got your best friends and winning a championship, so ...

But it helps getting a little stability with linemates and structure. Its a lot different feel than last year. Were getting our chances to win games.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...1806327/page2/

So it took him two years to be comfortable in Dallas. There won't be a similar adjustment period in NY. Will he go into another funk?

Quote:
"I'm not thinking about playing anywhere else," he said. "I'm very happy in Dallas. It's a great city to play in and I love the youthful energy we have this year with guys like (James) Neal and (Jamie) Benn and Loui (Eriksson). This is where my focus is."
http://nhl.fanhouse.com/2010/10/14/b...-mcguire-on-5/

Richards will be 31. 6-7 years. You really think it's smart to dish out that term for a 31 year old player?

Rangers have never bought out player in a regular buyout.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote