Old
11-22-2010, 04:01 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
But what would that do for us? Make us regular season heroes like the Capitals? If our team can play the game like we've seen now, with a goalie of Hanks caliber standing on his head much more likely than someone like Niemi, a deep playoff run is very possible for the Rangers.

I'd be more open to the idea (but still say a resounding no) if trading Henrik brings us any closer to winning the cup. IMO, it does the opposite. Just because this last SC saw the mediocre goaltenders battle doesn't mean that's the formula for a winning team. The Dev's, although with solid defense backing him up, mostly relied on Brodeur being elite.

I'd be ecstatic if we were as good as the Capitals, but look what ignoring goaltending has done for them. Building this team around Hank is essential IMO, and the addition of a legitimate number 1 d-man to pair with Staal or the addition of someone like Richards without gutting our team bumps up our skating game enough that we're contenders, imo, with Hank as the rock in net.
The Capitals are a hot goalie away from winning a Cup. Now does that mean an elite goalie? I don't know.