Thread: Pock
View Single Post
Old
05-30-2005, 09:18 PM
Fletch

vCash: 500
Yeah, I compared him to Mottau...

Mottau played for a first-rate NCAA team. He scored 43 points in 42 games as a senior. He then turned pro and tallied 43 points in 61 AHL games. In that term he played 18 NHL games and tallied 3 points, all assists. So, in essence, he played in 12 more NHL games than Pock. The fact that one wants to call Pock an NHLer based on 6, yes 6, games, is ridiculous. I haven't said he won't be an NHLer. I haven't writted him off. I'm just not as impressed as the next guy. I saw one good game in 6. I saw an NHL season, points-wise, and in limited action on TV, that's forgettable. That's all I've seen.

And sjb, it's not backwards-arse logic. First, I don't think anybody's saying he's doomed to fail. But any comment that he's already proven himself is, in my opinion, way off base, because he's proven nothing more than so many other before him. Of course that dispells anybody's opinion, the I believe many people are over-looking what he didn't do in the AHL this season. 6 points in 50 games... That absolutely sucks. There are few excuses for that level of production in the AHL. You can point to injuries, but in the end, there were 50 games and 6 points. To me, that's no way to follow-up a quick start to an NHL career. To me, that is very pathetic. Anybody vying for an NHL job should be trying his best. AHL or not, one needs to put up points if that's his job. Spezza showed that he's a real prospect by putting up over 100 points last season. That's what a real prospect does.

Sorry, last season put Pock behind a coupld notches in my book. I wasn't greatly impressed in 5 of 6 games, and last season was a clincher for me. That's not to write him off, but he's in the back of my mind right about now.