Thread: Pock
View Single Post
Old
05-30-2005, 09:35 PM
Onion Boy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
What I'm trying to convey in a sense, though, is that last season's AHL stats are a bit more relevant than most people believe. He was hurt, but as mentioned above, he tallied 6 points in 50 games. That's a lot of games to put up few points, in my opinion.

I've seen sure-fire NHLer and many other tags applied to Pock (not from you), and I just do not believe that his NHL performance (which I believe many attribute their analysis of Pock to) warrants the praise.
Your absolutely right. Anybody who projects Pock to be a sure-fire top 4 NHL defenseman based on his stint is definately jumping the gun. However, to suggest that he still has that potential is IMO certainly valid. I for one believe that he will reach that potential, regardless of his stats hirtherto (both NHL and AHL).

However, just as it is premature to make projections based on his NHL stint, it is equally premature to write him off based on an average AHL campaign. Many things have to be taken into context, many of which I have outlined above. I'm not trying to make excuses for Pock, but after watching him play several times I am convinced he still has legit pro potential. He is a converted forward and, particularly under McGill's system, had to adjust alot to defending against pro forwards. Sacrificing his offensive contribution this season I truly believe was a product of his defensive development. Once he gets comfortable at that level and is given increased responsibility in Hartford, I think his offense will reappear.

I am all about giving prospects the benefit of the doubt and time to develop. As I've mentioned to you in other threads, I thought Jake Taylor struggled mightily at keeping up with the pace of the pro game, but I am certainly not going to write him off at this point.