Thread: Ville Leino
View Single Post
Old
11-24-2010, 08:58 AM
Larry44

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
I was reading some of euroflyers tweets and I'm a bit alarmed at one quote.

"I'd like to stay on a good team. But everything effects everything. There's a lot of things involved." - Leino

"Stay on a good team" doesn't sound like "I love it here." Maybe posturing, maybe not.
Well, from some of the other stuff posted at the time of the Carter signing, we can't really pay Leino what he might be worth in the open market now, without exceeding the cap for next year - based on current levels.

If his agent is smart, they will wait until the season is over. Right now it's hard to say what he's worth. $1.5M? $2.5M? $3.5M? more?

He's on pace with Carter and Briere right now and they make $5M and $6.5M respectively.

If he proves he's not a flash in the pan by maintaining his scoring pace, and has another great playoff, he's probably worth at least $3-4M to almost every other team in the league, and we probably can't afford to keep him without losing a high salary player.

After the new cap limits are established, and Homer decides who is coming back, he'll figure out what to do with Ville.

I wouldn't rule out him being re-signed early, if he really wants to stay (a one-year deal?), but if his price is too costly, Homer might have to cut his losses and and deal his rights before the draft to get something back for him before he goes UFA.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote