View Single Post
Old
11-25-2010, 04:37 AM
BBKers

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR 2011/2012

FORWARDS
Stopgap FA ($3.000m) / Derek Stepan ($0.875m) / Marian Gaborik ($7.500m)
Brandon Dubinsky ($4.500m) / Artem Anisimov ($2.400m) / Ryan Callahan ($3.200m)
Chris Kreider ($1.850m) / Chris Drury ($7.050m) / Mats Zuccarello-Aasen ($1.750m)
Sean Avery ($1.937m) / Brian Boyle ($1.800m) / Brandon Prust ($0.800m)
Derek Boogaard ($1.625m) / Evgeny Grachev ($0.816m)

DEFENSEMEN
Michal Rozsival ($5.000m) / Marc Staal ($3.975m)
Daniel Girardi ($3.325m) / Michael Del Zotto ($1.087m)
Ryan McDonagh ($1.300m) / Mike Sauer ($1.400m)
7th D ($0.800m)

GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m) /Martin Biron ($0.875m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,741,667; BONUSES: $1,650,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): -$2,691,667

Houston - we have a problem. And a serious one at that.
If we decide to go the internal way and keep all our talent - which most people seem to want - ---
OK we are thereby resigning The BAR line at numbers like I have above; signing Boyle + Sauer on shorter deals, sign Kreider on ELC, bring up MZA, Grachev and McD, and sign only TWO free agent (I will take Sather salmonfishing personally at my expense on July 1 if this is necessary) in the offseason (stopgap LW + 7th D) - we will still be in cap hell. And quite deep in it - I must add.
The bonus cushion can currently not be used next year - meaning we still need to shed over $ 5 Million off this presumtive homegrown roster to fit the capspace. That is the truth.

My shabby alternatives are:

Not resigning the BAR line. Not a good idea.

Trading Rozie for a cheaper D. Possible as his salary is only 3 million next year - but there is not much on the FA market that will come substantially cheaper that can log his minutes with this result. Packaging Rozie + better prospect/higher pix for a low salary younger 2/3 roster D is a pipe dream, but Sather might be able to pull something like this off. I do think he is a goner next year with the lower salary. But he needs to be replaced...

Getting rid of Drurys contract through trade, buyout or retirement. Extremely unlikely. Forget it - even though this would be by far the best solution.

Getting rid of Avery. Might be one idea Sather is pondering... But are there takers? Does Dolan wanna pay him to play in Flin Flon?

Trading one of our only 2 allstars in Hank or Gabby. Not really what we have in mind???...

Substituting McD, Grachev or MZAwith Weise/other alternative on the team - Sure why not, will not seriously change the bleak cap situation though...

Trading Dubinsky at the deadline - for a number 1 pick plus higher prospect. I hate to say this - but this is a scenario I could see developing.... Sather definitely holds grudges and he might wanna cash in knowing Dubi will be tough to resign by a lowballoffer considering "history"...

Not signing a stopgap FA - This might be a necessity purely for cap reasons - ie NOT to sign anyone and work from within. Do we have the depth to pull this off? Might have to see anyhow. As of now --- I could see Frolov, Prospal, Feds, Gilroy and Eminger all being goners - and Christensen dealt - but who knows? This is really not sure either way...

Hoping the salary cap goes up enough to swallow our salary needs. FAT CHANCE and probably what Cigar man dreams about - but slimly possible. Not much to hope for though...

Trading some of the other young core (Staal, Girardi, MDZ, Sauer, AA, Cally, Boyle) - No point really as their replacements will probably not create enough space anyway.

Cap hell. Get used to it. Roster turnover. Coming --- again. Bad Management - you bet.
AND BTW - completely forget about trying to getting Richards, Vinny L or any other pipedreams you have mentioned around here. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!!! No Space. Is that so hard to fathom?

Last edited by BBKers: 11-25-2010 at 04:48 AM.
BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote