View Single Post
Old
11-25-2010, 10:25 PM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsg View Post
The question and answer was in the context of the game that night. The PP's first unit looked good, created several chances where Halak made some big time saves. The 2nd unit was horrible. Again, we can pick the PP apart until we're blue in the face, but another thing Trotz said was that the players that are paid to score need to start scoring. Our scoring has come from the blue line and the checking line, not what you want to see. The players he's talking about are the same players that play the PP. Until they score 5x5, complaining about the PP is pointless.
Here's the thing Jay, it's supposed to be easier to score on the PP (than 5x5). One does have an additional player.

A good PP can be achieved by an average offense just as a great offense full of talented players can be mediocre with the man advantage.

I do want to see scoring from the blue line and energy line. It just can't be solely from those two areas if you expect success. (To be fair, I know that's not exactly what you meant, but wanted to state that to further my point below).

This team is close.

Our blue line is playing pretty well. They are also contributing. Since Trotz has formed the energy line in Carolina of Smithson, Tootoo and Ward, they've played as good as one could reasonably ask and has contributed as well.

There is talent spread among the forwards. More so than last season- particularly in quantity. Right now, things are not clicking. There's really little chemistry beyond the 26-16-27 line (and in truth, Sullivan is just extremely snakebit right now).

Even strength, I have every confidence that Barry Trotz will get this team scoring at rate comparable to last season. The jury is still out on his power play efforts. Right now, things are not looking too good. Injuries have certainly played a part. That said, I think they have the personnel right now to have a much better power play than they are showing.

One thing that needs to occur, however, is that Shea Weber needs to get pucks on net. If that means that he has to shoot the puck at a speed slower than the speed of light, then so be it. If he can't then Cody Franson needs to be elevated to the top unit opposite Suter.

I will note that I was unable to view the St. Louis game and base my comments above on the Predators overall recent play.

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote