View Single Post
Old
11-26-2010, 12:12 PM
Larry44

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by harakiri View Post
Nice breakdown Chris.

I think this whole "He sucks at the cap" Crowd is non-sense. It's an overrated issue. The Flyers aren't in a situation like the Hawks were.

The only problem i have with Homer is how weak our prospect pool is.. Yes we have two good goalie prospects but after that look at how terrible our prospects are. The Eminger trade was the worst trade he has made. That was down right awful. He also overpays for what he is trying to get.
Again, you have to look at the big picture. Does Homer trade draft picks? Yes. Does he get proven NHL player for them? Almost all the time.

And the cupboards are not as bare as you think.

We've got great goalie prospects in Bobrovsky and Ericksson.

On D, we've got Bartulis, Gustafsson, Marshall and Bourdon who are legitimate prospects to be NHL players. But we've also got two star veteran studs (Pronger and Kimmo) signed to long term deals, and three excellent Dmen who are about 25 too, so it's not all greybeards back there.

At forward, we've got a whole bunch of young forwards so it's not like we're in desperate shape to replace them all.

The top 6 is overflowing for the next few years (Richards, Carter, Giroux, JVR, Briere, Leino, Hartnell). Add to that young guys like Powe and Carcillo and Nodl who can play in the top 9 and we really only need depth players for the next three or four years.

Eh, voila. Wellwood, Testwuide, Holmstrom, Kalinski are ready or almost ready to fill in depth roles now. Guys like Ranford and Chaput in Jr. will provide depth in the out years.

True, we don't have superstars on the farm, but I don't regret trading first rounders for Pronger, or Downie for Carle, or a second for Meszaros. Those deals are part of the reason the team is so good now.