View Single Post
Old
11-27-2010, 02:16 PM
Tormentor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarki87 View Post
Yes he indeed is the son of the Tappara legend. Based on what I've seen he's a very promising kid and has a real knack for goal scoring. On the other hand I don't see why people are going so crazy about Tanus. Yes he's a solid skater and has decent shot but I think he is lacking in the hockey IQ department. I see him becoming a new Antti Pihlstöm and Finland is producing too much of those brainless speed skaters already. I'm really concerned when I see the junior national team selections for Finland as most of the forwards are really small and their only weapon is skating (of course there are exceptions like Salminen and Teräväinen). Why not take the bigger guy that has the creativity and vision and try to work on their skating like they do in the big hockey countries.
Tanus is like 5’6’’ tall and probably won’t grow that much anymore, so he’s going to find it hard to achieve the level that Pihlström is at the moment. As a player Tanus is closer to Joni Karjalainen. Also I don’t think he’s lacking that much in the hockey IQ department, in my opinion he’s a pretty smart player. It’s true that Barkov has a higher upside as a pro player than Tanus, but it’s also clear that in comparison Tanus is readier to play with the U17 national team than Barkov. At the moment Tanus plays the game with a higher level of intensity and is therefore better involved with what’s happening on the ice.

In junior NT games the pace of the game is so fast that in Finland there aren’t too many prospects in a single age group that are able to play at that level. It’s better for bigger and perhaps a bit slower players to play on a level where they are able to be more involved with the game. Eventually some of the bigger players will catch up with the smaller and more agile players. Once the U20 national team is selected, some of the smaller players will be replaced with bigger players.

The big hockey countries like USA, Canada and Sweden have prospects that are big, gritty, skilled and smart, but also skate pretty well. It’s rare to see a prospect like this in Finland. The problems in Finnish hockey come from much deeper than from junior national team selections.

Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote