Old
11-27-2010, 05:55 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefan75 View Post
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=544385

Now this was before Crosby's hat trick today, but while I don't begrudge Stamkos the success he's had so far, but reading this and another article I saw where a guy said Stamkos doesn't have the supporting cast of the other contenders, it seems like last year's "let's vote for someone who isn't Crosby or Ovechkin" has carried over quite well.

Like I've said many times, unlike any other player, Crosby isn't evaluated against the rest of the league when it comes to awards, he's evaluated against the expectations of him.
I kind of feel the same way. It's like, the only way Crosby wins an award now is if he's miles better than his competition. If he's just slightly better, then the nod goes to the "underdog" or surprise.

I still think last year was the perfect example of this. For all intents and purposes, Crosby was the definition of what the Hart trophy should be: Most Valuable Player, not necessarily the highest scoring or most outstanding. But since Sedin came out of nowhere to put up a monster season, he was the "underdog" choice (though I'm still puzzled how Ovechkin finished second in voting ahead of Sid).

This is why I pretty much already know Stamkos is winning the Hart this year. Even if Sid keeps slightly ahead of him in points, so long as Stamkos keeps the gap within less than 10 points, he'll take it.

Sid's basically gotta dominate the scoring race by the same margin that Wayne/Mario did in order for him to win another trophy again. As frustrating as that is, I've pretty much come to accept it.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote