View Single Post
Old
11-27-2010, 06:03 PM
Bluefan75

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
I kind of feel the same way. It's like, the only way Crosby wins an award now is if he's miles better than his competition. If he's just slightly better, then the nod goes to the "underdog" or surprise.

I still think last year was the perfect example of this. For all intents and purposes, Crosby was the definition of what the Hart trophy should be: Most Valuable Player, not necessarily the highest scoring or most outstanding. But since Sedin came out of nowhere to put up a monster season, he was the "underdog" choice (though I'm still puzzled how Ovechkin finished second in voting ahead of Sid).

This is why I pretty much already know Stamkos is winning the Hart this year. Even if Sid keeps slightly ahead of him in points, so long as Stamkos keeps the gap within less than 10 points, he'll take it.

Sid's basically gotta dominate the scoring race by the same margin that Wayne/Mario did in order for him to win another trophy again. As frustrating as that is, I've pretty much come to accept it.
I know Crosby won't give two craps about this, but the real shame of it is that 50 years from now, when the guys in the HoH forum on this site(many of whom are quite knowledgeable) discuss players from the past, their awards totals and finishes in the voting will be one of the key criteria, yet because he was only better, and not leaps and bounds better, he gets screwed.

While it will be quite difficult, hopefully he can push 2000 points when it's all said and done, and make the award question far less important.

Bluefan75 is offline   Reply With Quote