View Single Post
Old
11-28-2010, 03:00 PM
Leetch3

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs252 View Post
Any buyout doubles the length of time the hit stays with the roster (for example a buyout of two remaining years spreads the buyout over four years).

Drury's contract is up next season. There is no benefit to buying him out now, and he will likely re-sign with us at a much more reasonable number. He's a useful player, just not a 7 mil player.
imo there is little to no chance of him being bought out, but there is a potential benefit to doing it now. and thats the fact that brad richards is available this summer, not after drury's contract expires. i don't see any elite #1s available the following summer when drury's contract expires and we have to assume that guys like crosby, getzlaf, etc will resign and never become available in 2013.

so waiting for the contract expire and then finding another top center might not be a realistic option. getting richards this summer could be a one time opportunity to get a player like that...so then the question becomes do you think richards puts us over the top as a legit contender?

even if the answer is yes, i think a buyout to clear cap space is a last resort and you try to clear it somewhere else. maybe deal rosy and hope that one of mcdonagh or valentenko steps up...but if buying out drury is the only way i can get richards then i have to consider it.