Old
10-07-2003, 06:15 AM
Brisebois

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Brisebois
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHUDO
To know the type of player Ryder was, we have to look at his history:

First he wasn't even picked in the Q's draft. He was only an invitee. When he got there, he bacame a fan, and Team Favorite, and the best player on the team. Secondly, was given an inside chance for the World Juniors (I think part of the reason he was invited was because his coach ((Claude Julian)) was the coach of the World Junior Team. When he got there he impressed everyone (including Julian), and was pick for the team (Not only picked , but surpassed anybody's expectations).
Next he was drafted by Montreal, and given a chance for the AHL, where he was basically a health scratch, and fill in for two years (A victim of Montreals Prospect Depth), but when Given a chance exceled at this level.

Now we get to the NHL, given a chance a training camp, and suprises everybody. Who's to say this guy cannot become a Star in the NHL. It seems he's the type of player that makes the best of the situation at hand. His potential is impossible to be determined. He's the type of player that needs to be given a chance, then he runs with it.

I said in one post before that it is his Fate to excel at the NHL level. given the situation (Julian being his coach, the only person who ever had the confidence to give him a chance. Ryder's success not only prove Ryders character, and work ethic, but also prove Julian's good Judgement. He saw potential, that no body else has seen.).

GO RYDER GO
You missed a few seasons.

First of all, remember that he was drafted in the 8'th round (216'th overall) by Montreal in '97 after picking up just 62 points in 69 games.

His next season saw his stats jump to 87 points in 69 games and it was either that year or the next where he had a brilliant QMJHL playoff. Next season he had 50 goals and 108 points in just 63 games.

Still the Habs felt he wasnt ready for the AHL so he split time with the ECHL but got the jump to the AHL late in the season, as he would do the next season as well, each time seeing his numbers and value rise.

Last year he had 67 points inm 69 games as a second-liner, quite an incredible AHL feat. I'd say if he was given more ice time, perhaps he would have had another 20 points, which is why I'm predicting a nice rookie season and a solid run for the calder. I think it's within reach.

Don't forget CJ was his coach almost throughout his entire career, and Ryder was always a CJ favourate, and the rumour about Koivu wanting Ryder as a linemate.

Expect great things from Michael in the future.