View Single Post
Old
11-28-2010, 11:36 PM
Chruceg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
Brown is definitely a top 6 forward, I think he belongs on the 2nd line but I don't mind him on the first line. ...
(cropping mine)

I really agree with this point. To expand I don't really like the idea of labeling players as first line, second line, or third line. What matters is that a team has combinations that work together well and that these combinations accomplish the job that is required of a designated line. Right now the problem is not Dustin Brown. The problem is the 1LW spot. Right now Kopitar and Brown aren't being properly complimented. Furthermore, the player that Dean (hopefully) acquires doesn't have to be a traditional first liner either. What matters is that the player compliments the other two well.

Look at the second line for example. The Kings current second line is the best thing we have going right now. It makes little sense that a puck possession guy like Williams, a defensive center like Stoll, and a front of the net guy like Smyth would fit well together. They fit perfectly and form a formidable secondary (right now primary) scoring threat. The labels don't matter. What matters is that the line can score consistently enough to provide secondary scoring.

Getting back to Brown ... he can clearly score goals in this league. He has scored 30 goals before and despite his linemates this year he is on pace to do it again. Give him and Kopitar somebody who compliments them well and the first line will perform its job nicely.

Chruceg is offline   Reply With Quote