View Single Post
Old
11-29-2010, 03:17 PM
Garbage Goal

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
I don't know about that...an opinion is an opinion. It only becomes an issue when either 1) someone presents an opinion as fact and fails to recognize doing so or 2) people recognize facts as opinion. That's where conflict arises.
This is obviously an extreme example (just because it's easier to think of one this way), but if someone was of the opinion that the entire world is just one small grain under, say, Jester's finger-nail then you wouldn't think that's a crazy illegitimate opinion?

Or scientoligists? You don't think their opinion on religious matters are stupid enough to the point where you personally discount their opinion on the matter?

If someone thought Claude Giroux is going to be as good as Crosby you wouldn't call them crazy or think less of their opinion?

Quote:
I won't single anyone out either, but if I'm thinking of who you're thinking of, I personally, tend to think they are extremely factual, and rarely present opinions as such.
Like I said, I'm not thinking of any single person here. Granted, I have a mental list of certain posters that I don't think much of (in terms of their opinion) and vice versa, but I'm not gonna get anywhere near into that.

Quote:
9 times out of 10, I'd argue it comes down to the "fundamental difference in opinion" I mentioned before. I seem to make my same arguments over and over again and feel like I'm talking to a wall. And I'm sure people debating with me feel the same way.
Debates do tend to get people entrenched into their original point of view, granted, but it really depends on who you're talking to. For instance, I try to keep an open mind and although I don't always post to tell a person when he's swayed my opinion, my opinion does tend to get swayed by any convincing argument.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote