View Single Post
Old
11-30-2010, 03:31 PM
Foreverinour

vCash: 500
Prongers disallowed goal

just read this on ESPN. thought it was interesting on their take.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...sal-of-fortune

Quote:
pelti: The Pronger unsportsmanlike call has me pretty disgusted with the NHL. It really shows the abject lack of accountability in officiating. The call was egregiously wrong. All Pronger did was extend his arm for a moment, with his back to the goalie. It doesn't really matter whether he was calling for the puck or screening the goalie, because he was making a hockey play. There is no rule against screening the goalie. The so-called "Avery Rule" which does not appear in the NHL rulebook, doesn't even apply here, because Campbell's clarification of rule 75 specifically says that facing the goalie is what made Avery's stick-wave unsportsmanlike. The two plays are worlds apart. ...

I also find it ridiculous how many people have come out saying the call made sense. It really goes to show the perceptions and reputation the Flyers face in every game. They are guilty until proven innocent in NHL circles. How can pointing left for about a second be called "unsportsmanlike" in a league that repeatedly lets headshots go? Barely 24 hours later, Crosby scored his 200th goal on a play where his teammate, Kunitz, buffaloed Kiprusoff while the shot was being taken. Where's the outrage for that?

brucewaynegretzky: There's a lot of chatter here about the Pronger call. I know you and others have said you think it was the right call. I disagree pretty strongly, but that will happen. What I would really like to hear your thoughts on are whether or not there is a more strict version of the rules applied to the Flyers. It feels like questionable calls always go against them. I'm a Flyers fan, so maybe there is some hometown bias there, but the prevalence really does seem to suggest there's something else going on here. Your thoughts?

My take: That was a quality rant, pelti, even if I disagree.

First of all, it was indeed the right call last Friday afternoon; kudos to young referee Ghislain Hebert for getting it right. Pronger clearly waived his glove in front of Miikka Kiprusoff's face. That's an unsportsmanlike conduct (USC) penalty. It does not matter that Pronger wasn't facing Kiprusoff. The spirit of the rule is the glove being in the face.

"The spirit and intent of the USC rule is to keep an acceptable hockey decorum in the game, in this case when a player is screening," Terry Gregson, the NHL's director of officiating, told me Saturday. "This type of act is outside the normal boundaries and needs to be controlled for the good of the game."

As for the league somehow calling the game tighter when the Flyers are involved? I've always said fans see the game with tainted glasses, in this case black and orange.

Foreverinour is offline   Reply With Quote