View Single Post
Old
12-01-2010, 11:50 AM
MtlPenFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
That might be well and good for the regular season,but postseason games are won with skill, coaching, and a few breaks here and there.

Trust me, I'm not saying Bylsma can't bring back his magic for the playoffs, but it does scare me he was out-coached in Montreal. We made no adjustments to what we wanted to do.
Cole, the Montreal series came down to goaltending. You're not the only one who talks about being "outcoached" last spring, and I just don't see how anyone can look at a series that went the way that one did and claim it was anything but that.

After game 7 you have Crosby, who's always careful about what he says basically coming out and saying "I have no idea how you can play like that and expect to win". In other words, he saw what I did. A team that sat back like they did all regular season (I watched every Hab game that wasn't on during a Pens game), prayed for stellar goaltending and timely goals. It worked for two series, and then they got run over by Philly when Halak came back down to earth.

There's no coaching system that's going to defend against 2 goals from the icing line, poor wraparound goals, cross crease passes that bounce perfectly off Letang's skate into the net, and allowing the first goal on the first shot in 3 separate games. Save for a period here and there, if Montreal spent more than 35% of the time in our zone that series, I'd be shocked.

Lack of scoring depth finally helped bite us in the ass as well (Crosby and Malkin don't get off scott free here either) but in the end, if Fleury had even a decent series, that's a 6 game series at best.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote