View Single Post
Old
12-01-2010, 02:05 PM
phillyfanatic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Bob is luck from Holmgren's perspective... he had no intention of Bob playing in the NHL to start the year, and Bob almost certainly would be backstopping that terrible AHL squad if Leighton's back hadn't blown up (of course, if we were getting .900 goaltending and Bob was posting a .930+ in the AHL, he might be here by now...). Certainly gets credit for signing a prospect... but I've always said I love his scouting eye.

What I find remarkable is the inability of some to grasp that some paces are unsustainable (both good and bad). Players have runs of both good and bad luck and it affects their production rates. O'Donnell and Meszaros, for example, have gotten quite lucky this year in when goals are finding their way past the goalies. Carle--who I'm not a huge fan of--has been unlucky defensively, IMO (worst GAON/60 on the team at 2.69), but also quite lucky the other way (3.74 GFON/60). Last year his numbers were 2.15 GAON and 2.90 GFON...

Based on watching him, I wouldn't have suspected Carle was getting burned that badly defensively without looking at the numbers.

And regression to mean is absolutely real, and far too many don't seem to grasp this conceptually.
Wrong again. Bob wasn't planned to play in the NHL "this year" but when he was signed Homer said that Bob and Ericsson are the future goalies. He corrected a problem that was there for 20 years. He gave us future stud goalies. One of those goalies is turning into pure Gold, and from everything I have read - the Flyer scouts not only are "not surprised" but they were very much "expecting" this. He is old enough to play in the NHL and his fundamentals are outstanding and the scouts thought he could play in the league immediately. From day 1 in training camp, he has shown - they were right. Luck - NOT!

Paul Holmgren is the best and most successful GM in hockey. Ray Shero got lucky with Crosby and Malkin. Dale Tallon got lucky with Kane. In Detoit, they have been getting "lucky" out of russia for years. However, years later.....everyone agrees that their scouting in Europe is the reason for the luck (Detroit is the class of the NHL in management, Flyers next). They had Datsyk, Zetterburg and others high on their list when others didn't know their names. That isn't luck, that is good scouting. Homer put Little and others at work in Europe to find good goaltending. They found Bob. That isn't luck. That is good scouting. That is a direct result of good management and therefore, is another feather in Homers cap.

He has made brilliant move after brilliant move. I have said it before and I will say it again. To be a great GM in this league you need to look bad at times. Noboby is going to bat one thousand. However, Homer is batting about .400 with 40 Home Runs. And in NHL GM terms, that is the best in the league. Want to debate it? Bring it haters.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote