Old
12-02-2010, 10:11 AM
Kambo

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kambo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
It's all about networking.

The best advice to give anyone in college is that they need to network and make contacts. An internship is lightyears more valuable than taking that ******** 2 credit art class in Rome or even a legitimate Summer class.

In DC, for example, most of the good jobs are already spoken for. Businesses just go through the hiring process so they don't get sued. But they already know who they want or, at worst, have it narrowed down to 2 or 3.

I majored in Philosophy. It's the highest paying liberal arts degree since A) it's one of a small handful of degrees that teaches and hones critical thinking skills while perfecting both prose and technical writing and B) you meet a ****ton of interesting, ambitious people who are out to change the world.
This is pretty much the best advice. I wish I had done an internship, but I never thought of it. And the networking thing is 100% legit. The more people you know, the more hookups you can get. Corporate/ Professional environments is all about politics and who you know. Case in point: How I got my job. Only ****** thing is I'm now stuck in my job, because despite the number of people I currently know from working here, I'm still a contractor and can't manage to get hired as an employee because all the open positions are going to friends of HR people, people who had internships here, or people who stuck around as contractors for a million years which I'm not willing to do.

And now I'm just venting my displeasure with looking for a new job.