View Single Post
Old
12-02-2010, 10:52 AM
JTG

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
The key to the Penalty kill is Michalek. With him in the lineup the Pens have given up a grand total of 3 power play goals in 17 games. One of which was the 5 on 3 goal Stamkos scored. When he was out they gave up 7 power play goals in 9 games.

Their kill rate with him in the lineup is an unreal 95%. Without 84%. Now I'm not sure it's just him being out there that makes it that much better or the fact that the Pens don't have to put Goligoski/lovejoy/engelland out there when he's not playing. At any rate the difference is pretty staggering. So with everyone but Staal healthy the Pens are killing 95% of the penalties they take. Not to mention they've scored 2 short handed goals in those 17 games. In other words other then a 5 on 3 goal given up to the leagues leading goal scored the Pens have broken even when killing penalties with Michalek in the lineup.

How much better can Staal possibly make it? If someone is in the box who normally kills penalties or they are injured or tired then fine put Staal out there. If that's not the case I'd save him for the end of penalties and right after them for some extra offense. I'd also hope that none of our top 4 defensemen, especially Michalek get hurt.
Michalek is a big piece of the success. I won't ever doubt that. But in the games we were missing Michalek...we were also missing Orpik who plays the top unit with Michalek.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote