Old
12-02-2010, 01:53 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Ah, yeah, this kind has nothing to do with what I'm saying... and I'm on record saying that I think the decision to legislate against what Pronger did is dumb. However, Cartsiephan's argument that we see players doing that with regularity is pure fantasy.

It doesn't matter if a goalie can or cannot look around a player's hand held in front of his eye level (obviously he can). What matters is that the NHL is saying that such a play is an unsportsmanlike conduct, and they don't want to see it in the NHL. Whether you agree with that statement or not is a matter to take up at a level above the call specific to Pronger. If that's the way they're going to call it going forward, then that's the rule.

Who cares? They're saying this is how they want the rule implemented... everyone citing the Avery incident is ignoring the fact that the NHL is stating that this is how they interpret the rule, and, therefore, the call on the ice was correct. You really can't argue with that.

Which is why I noted earlier in the thread that the O'Donnell boarding call against the Caps earlier in the year is 100x more infuriating, because it was obviously NOT boarding.
Ah, yeah, when you say he out his hand in Kipper's face it does kind of make it seem like his hand was, ya know, in his face. It was in his line of vision but in all reality nowhere near his face.

Also the rule clarification stated any player turned away from the play facing the goalie couldn't do this type of thing which Pronger was not.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote