View Single Post
Old
12-03-2010, 03:01 AM
VanTampaFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 View Post
I agree. I don't think Yzerman sees this as a year that we challenge for a playoff spot or make a run deep into it. Even though we are currently sitting in 5th I don't see him making a serious move, unless it's too good to pass up on. He just signed Ellis this past off-season so he's not going anywhere, and Smith is done after this season anyway. If someone is coming or going I think you'll only might see it at the trade deadline or in the off season.
I agree mostly with that but don't think we'll see deadline action unless its a good deal. Smith needs to go and is unlikely to be resigned in the NHL. He'd likely find work in Europe though. Yzerman is far from a stupid person. He knows the situation. It all comes down to what he is willing to do to rectify the problem mid season, as in, what assets is he willing to give up and for what gain?

It's not that the lightning are not a playoff contender, the current record states otherwise and the way that they play their games with them all over their opponent most of the time also points to the opposite. But a Stanley Cup team? Definitely not. Well, at least not a clear favorite. Even a serious Tampa fan like myself wouldn't put serious money down on a bet. If Yzerman could get a true number one goalie, but had to give up someone like Connolly or Wishart, I don't support that. Not when the free agent pool is what it is for goalies in the off season. I'd argue that a guy like Jose Theodore signed for what minnesota got him for this coming July 1 would be better off than giving up our depth and would offer far better service than Smith or Ellis.

What I'm getting at is: if a deal can be worked out to acquire a number one goalie who is in his prime and will be a building block for years to come do it. It's needed. But don't give up assets for a temporary fix for a guy in the twilight of his career. It's just not worth it long term.