View Single Post
Old
12-03-2010, 10:28 AM
chaosof99*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
I can't remember all the details now, but I do remember when the Leafs made the effort to get Burke in mid-season, instead of waiting, that I was actually worried that he was going to do the smart thing and tank completely - accumulating draft picks and getting Tavares or Hedman. Then he made a couple deals to try and make a futile run at the playoffs.

What was even funnier was in the pre-draft time when Burke was going on and on in the media about trading for the rights to draft Tavares - the Isles just laughed at him - when he HAD him all sewn up and blew it. Not only that, they also missed out on Brayden Schenn too, and got stuck with Kadri.

You can't build your future offense completely around a couple of waterbugs who weight 160 pounds each. You can have them in your mix, but not as your best players...

Burke's next firing offense was not so much acquiring Kessel from Boston, but overpaying from a position of strength.

Chiarelli couldn't sign Kessel, who was recovering from surgery. And even if he signed him, he would've been way over the cap, so something had to give.

Instead of waiting until Kessel was about to return, then lowballing, Burke WAY overpaid for Kessel. A first and second was bad enough, but next year's lottery pick is going to kill them.

The way Taylor Hall tore them up last night, I wouldn't be surprised if Burke gets fired when Tyler Seguin scored another couple tomorrow night.....
Not saying that you are completely wrong, but these are the moves that Toronto made after Burke took over until the trade deadline:

Brad may from Anaheim for a conditional 6th round draft pick in 2010
Ryan Hamilton from Minnesota for Robbie Earl
Put Staffan Kronwall on waivers who was claimed by Washington
Put Mark Bell on waivers who was calimed by the Rangers
Claimed Erik Reitz off waivers from the Rangers
Claimed Martin Gerber off waivers from the Senators
Traded Nik Antropov to the Rangers for a 2nd round pick in 2009 and a conditional 4th in 2010
Traded Dominic Moore to Buffalo for Caroliona's 2nd round pick in 2009
Traded Richard Petiot to Tampa for Olaf Kölzig, Andy Rogers, Jamie Heward and Carolina's 4th round pick in 2009.

If that's what trying to make the playoffs looks like in Burkeland, the Leafs are worse off than I thought.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote