10-07-2003, 10:38 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres22
wow so basically hasek screwed us over again huh?! oh man now we know why he decided to retire for a year
Too much conspiracy theory in your coffee. Hasek retired, true, and the initial wording of the deal seemed to change <i>after</i> the Wings won the Cup, though that seems to have been more a case of poorly worded press release(s) than any sort of attempted chicanery.
But I don't find anything particularly malicious in Hasek's departure and return. He'd been threatening to retire for years, did so, realized how much he missed the competition and has decided to return. Eh. I am more bummed that the early version of the deal was so widely mis-reported as Kozlov, first, and another first if the Wings win the Cup rather than it's actual form.

That Regier was able to parlay Hasek into anything of value remains impressive to me, considering they have a quality, character prospect in Paille and used Kozlov in their maneuvering to land Hecht. In the light of Dom's demand to be traded to either the Wings or Blues and his veto ability over the return and with the threat of retirement he was weilding, Regier did a pretty good job.