View Single Post
Old
12-04-2010, 10:15 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post
If Dallas is out of the playoff race by the deadline, I can see them shipping Richards to New York. It's going to require a big return on the rangers part though.

Trades for big-name players on deadline day in the past have returned at least a good roster player, a nice prospect, and a 1st.

Hossa got Atlanta Armstrong + Christensen + Esposito + 1st. Kovalchuk got Atlanta Oduya + Bergfors + Cormier + 1st. Richards is playing like a superstar right now and did last year. The Rangers will have to pay to get him but I wouldn't be surprised to see him in a Rangers sweater at some point this season.

Richards also has a 7.8M cap hit so the Rangers would most likely have to dump some salary at some point if they wanted to add him. Whether they do so by another trade or by getting Dallas to take one of their bigger contracts remains to be seen, if such a trade does happen.
Which is why I suggested someone like Anisimov would be available. Richards is also older than both Kovalchuk and Hossa were when they were dealt.

As for salary, Todd While and Matt Gilroy make over a combined $4.2 million, and can be sent to the AHL to create room, (and most likely will when Drury and/or Prospal get back). Frolov makes $3 million and could also be jettisoned. Eric Christensen makes just under $1 million, but, becomes completely unnecessary on the roster, (as if he's not already), with a Richards acquisition. And, the Rangers also have over $1.5 million in available cap space. The Rangers have avenues to be absorb Richards' salary.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote