View Single Post
Old
12-05-2010, 12:58 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
I think Dumont is in deep trouble. As I watched the game last night I started to realize he does not fit the style of play here anymore. I like Dumont, always have but he does not have the legs or defensive mindedness to play this system that Trotz wants him to. It would be a shame to lose him but when Legwand comes back who do you sit, Dumont or Spaling? From what I've seen lately, Spaling, although not producing offensively, is a tremendous penalty killer and is a huge reason the PK is looking as good as it is. No way he sits any of Tootoo, Smithson or Ward and with the top 2 lines clicking, Dumont is the odd man out.

Now here comes the kicker, what do we do if and when Lombardi comes back? Spaling seems to be the odd man out but I don't think he sits although the 4th line that we have right now is probably best suited for what we do. So say we do sit Spaling and have a healthy Legwand and Lombardi, move one of them to wing, let them use their speed and open things up for Hornqvist? I could live with that.

I think it would suck for Spaling though since he is such a good penalty killer. I remember in the third last night, we're on the kill, Spaling is by the left faceoff dot and someone is about to shoot from the right point or dot and Spaling gets all the way over to block the shot. I have no idea how he did it because he was not in a place to do so but hustled across ice. Honestly, one of the best hustle plays I've seen in a long time in any game I've watched.
JP needs to remember that this team plays defense first. He's lost a step, doesn't win enough of the battles on the boards, and isn't shooting enough. The skills are still there, but, the mix of linemates doesn't fit his style of play right now.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote