View Single Post
Old
06-08-2005, 07:46 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by easton122
I said that because he really hasn't been that bad at controlling rebounds in the AHL. Obviously the talent is a step down but controlling rebounds in the NHL or AHL isn't a huge jump. If he has been able to survive in the AHL with the Phantoms defense I am sure he can survive in the NHL with the Flyers defense.

He should and will be a backup more likely than not in the NHL rookie season. People criticize his ability to control rebounds but IMO I am more confident with the Phantoms having Niittymaki right now with his rebounds than Esche with his rebounds. Nitty will have to play better against NHL sharp shooters but allowing a rebound and not allowing a rebound isn't much different from the AHL to the NHL IMO.

I don't understand where your logic comes from...bigger more skilled players are going to make you pay for rebounds much more than scrub AHLers would. Harder shooting defensemen who's bread and butter is shooting from the point in the NHL are gonna make you pay more than Minor Leaguers would. Nitty will probably be a good NHL goalie but it's expectations like these that lead to unfulfilled potential. I'd hold back on trying to write Frank's Vezina acceptance speech until he plays at least 10-15 games at the REAL pro level. This debate could be meaningless anyways...equipment changes are gonna make us reevalute all these goalies when hockey resumes next Fall.