View Single Post
Old
06-08-2005, 11:28 AM
VanIslander
Don't waste my time

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Outsider
I really don't think it's controversial to say that Tkachuk and Selanne were better offensive players than Gainey and Tiikanen.
In the playoffs? I don't think so.

Games in November and January are almost meaningless in the opinions of many great hockey players who know that the real season begins and ends with the postseason. Some players just don't get it done when it matters most, are entirely stoppable, casting doubts of the relevance of regular season efforts (to pad stats and get higher paycheques? or just simply incapable of producing offensively in the playoffs when the opposition is toughest?).

Any stat which places Tkachuk and Selanne so far ahead of Tikkanen and Gainey isn't worth putting much stock in. Even to determine offensive worth. Especially when some of these guys are NOT offensive producers when it matters most.

Tikkanen three times could have won the Conn Smythe, Gainey twice. Tkachuk and Selanne are two of the least deserving postseason heroes I've ever heard of among talented scorers... they just haven't gotten it done, and in fact have received a lot of bad press for choking in the playoffs. I was a huge Selanne fan but I've often seen him fail to rise to the challenge and gave up on him in San Jose, cursing at the tv screen one too many times in the postseason.

Last edited by VanIslander: 06-08-2005 at 11:50 AM.