View Single Post
12-06-2010, 02:46 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
And that's why it could never have worked out for the Whalers. They were squeezed between two much larger, Original Six cities with relatively successful teams. People wax nostalgic about how beloved they were, but at the time they were kind of a joke franchise. Talking to veteran Whaler fans around here, their biggest games of the year were playing the Bruins and hoping they'd win so half the arena wouldn't chant "Let's go Bruins" the whole time.

BTW, in terms of distance -- Hartford is only 25 miles from Springfield, Mass which is obviously Bruins territory nowadays. And it's 40 miles from New Haven which is actually part of the New York CSA. They can't even look to Rhode Island, because that's solidly Bruins-backed including their AHL affiliate in Providence. Their niche would be tiny, even if they could afford to pay the price of acquiring rights to it.
I know that Long Island and Newark are really part of the NYC metro area, but still Newark is in another State. Whether we're talking Hartford, Bridgeport-New Haven, or Providence... wouldn't sort of the same megametro area idea come into play, as it does with Newark (which standing by itself is significantly smaller than any of those three areas I mentioned.

That said, I personally wouldn't be in putting another team back in the New England area. Any expansion in the east, speaking the US, the best or only reasonable location is Norfolk-Virginia Beach.