View Single Post
Old
06-08-2005, 01:56 PM
FlyersFan10*

vCash: 500
It wouldn't surprise me if Umberger has a spot on the team. Paul Holmgren was quoted as saying there would be 7 or 8 new faces on the team coming from Philadelphia. You have to figure that Carter, Richards, Pitkanen, Seidenberg, Sharp and Niittymaki will be guarantees. The only other person I can think of who would round out the group would be Umberger. I think we're going to see a very young, but very good team.

As for Hitch not wanting that many youngsters on the team, he might not have any choice but to swallow hard and accept it. He's been given all kinds of veterans and we haven't won squat with the vets. That's not a slight, that's the reality. Why not have the new breed of young Flyers kids in the lineup right away? Can't hurt anything. I mean, it's not as if we're going to tank it anyways. There is still enough talent that even with an influx of young blood, we aren't going to be that bad off.

We know Carter and Richards are gamers. Pitkanen should be even better once the NHL starts up again and Seidenberg should be the same. We all know what Niittymaki can do and Patrick Sharp had some serious chemistry with Carter, so we don't want to waste that either. Umberger can be considered a wild card, but my god, he's done everything that the organization has asked of him and he's flourished.

He's been great as the shut down centerman on the team and he wouldn't look bad on line with Primeau and Knuble or Kapanen. The important thing though with the kids is that we can't let them play with talentless scrubs on the team. Playing Umberger with someone like Brashear or Somik would be a detriment to his development. Same with Richards and Carter. They need to play along side real talent.