View Single Post
Old
12-06-2010, 05:13 PM
Regal

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
The Bourque vs. Lidstrom competition argument loses a lot of weight as soon as you keep in mind that pretty much half of Bourques career overlapped with Lidstrom.

I do agree that earlier Bourque probably faced tougher competition from the Potvin's/Coffey's/MacInnis etc... but I think by this point people are regurgitating it a little quickly.

Lidstrom is still going strong and has been the only constant key player on the ice during an amazingly long period of strong Detroit Red Wings squads.
But Lidstrom didn't won a Norris until Bourque's last season (And Bourque was second). The competition argument is more in relation to the second half of Lidstrom's career, when he was in his prime and won his 6 Norrises, though the competition was already slowing down in the latter half of the 90s. I wouldn't say Bourque's early days or last few seasons were particularly strong in terms of competition, but the late 80s to early 90s, during Bourque's prime there was a very good crop of guys all around their primes.

Regal is offline   Reply With Quote