View Single Post
12-06-2010, 11:43 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Rhiessan71 View Post
Actually...the point was completely lost on you.
I wasn't even referring to goals being harder to come by, I was referring to how the speed of the game and the salary cap does just as much to water down the overall talent in the league as limited rosters spots did in a 21 team league.

Once again, no one is saying that Gretz or Mario push 200+ points today, all that's being said is that both of them would still bury Crosby's point totals.
Also, Gretz and Mario played against the other teams best defensive D pairing on a regular basis as well as getting their own personal "shadow" so it's not like they just got to run around free wheeling as you're inferring.
Actually a few people did mention that they would score just as well and at least one guy said that Mario would score even more with the limited checking (his view, not mine) in today's game.

Go back and watch some games from the early 80's and look at the time and space that Gretzky and Lemieux have comapred to todays players. time and space is esstentail to any player to use their skill in the NHL (or any league for that matter).

It is certainly debatable to how much more success either past superstar would have with the pace, speed and limited time and space in today's game over Crosby if they were in his place.

I was at the Vancouver St. Louis game last night and the time and space that any player had on the ice was defeintely alot less than players had in the 80's.

St. Louis was missing 3 of their top 6 players and thier 2nd and 3rd lines didn't lack for any talent, they skated and worked hard all night long. Guys didn't take shifts off like they did back in the day and everyone on the team is expected to help out on defense as well.

Edler did look a bit like a pylon though as Steen outworked him on the GWG.