View Single Post
Old
06-08-2005, 09:28 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

vCash: 500
Here's part of the article:

Getting back to playing hockey is enough to keep Flyers captain Keith Primeau looking forward to the next season, but watching the Calder Cup playoffs has him really excited.

"When I first got to Detroit, we had a young team. They [Adirondack, the Red Wings' minor league team] won the Calder Cup in [1991-92] and within a few years we were competing for Stanley Cups," he said. "We were in the finals in [1994-95], the semifinals in [1995-96] and set the record that year for the most wins [62] and in '97 [Detroit] won the Cup.

"And this is how it starts. The Phantoms have anywhere from six to nine kids who are going to be in the [Flyers'] lineup next year who look like they're about to win the Calder Cup.

"I'm so excited because we're going to be right there. Two of them [Jeff Carter and Mike Richards] are just standouts, both of them are just stars."

What makes this even more enticing for Primeau is the opportunity he is going to have as a veteran and captain to help shape their careers. Primeau started his career as an 18-year-old who didn't want to leave junior hockey the year he did.

Primeau said he wanted to go back to junior hockey, but the Red Wings wanted him to stay and skate with the older players. He got some help but not as much as he needed, and he knows now what the young players need from veteran players.

"I love teaching the young kids, not how to play the game but how to be professionals," he said.

"I had some veteran guys looking out for me when I came up, but for me no one really showed me the right way. And this is going to be a challenge not for just one or two guys; we're talking about up to five guys, and to me that's exciting."