View Single Post
Old
12-07-2010, 01:31 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
I notice the Flyers goalies go down almost on one knee at times when the puck is at a very bad angle [ almost when even with the goal line at times] which really opens up a gap in the 5 hole also and invites a ricochet off the pad etc ?I understand in a sense that the goalie is going down on the inside leg some as to be able to spring across to the other side in the event of a pass across the middle or the shooter going around behind the net to back door from the other side, but this positioning certainly seems to open up holes that otherwise should not be there on sharp angles.

Does anyone else cringe a little when watching goalies getting sniped from bad angles ?
FWIW, goalies in general are easier to beat top shelf blocker side than glove side. The motion to get your elbow or hand up there just isn't as natural or fast as getting the trapper up.

I have noted in other threads (once under this user name and a couple of times as I am The Mush) that Bobrovsky's footwork once the puck goes behind his net is particularly bad, and he puts his paddle down way too often IMO (thus dropping his right shoulder and opening up the top shelf more). I would be willing to bet that it's something that changes in his game over time. Kari Lehtonen used to be the same way and got killed on it all the time.

Lundqvist is really good about sealing that top corner with his blocker elbow when he is sealing the post in the half butterfly. It looks awkward as hell when he's standing in that position, but I've never seen him close to getting beat on it so...

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote