View Single Post
Old
12-07-2010, 06:07 PM
Flames Fanatic
Truculent Fan

vCash: 50
I agree with this, though I think your pretty harsh on the last draft. Actually, you were overly so.

Bourque is as good a player as we could have hoped for with a second round pick. Every single team in this league would make that trade without a second thought and consider themselves bandits.

When it comes to the actual players drafted, you have to give some props as well.

Max Reinhart has 20 points in 29 games with Kootney in a second line role. While not fantastic, its still pretty good.

Joey Leach has 13 points in 29 games as a defenseman. Considering his career high is only double that, he's on pace for a career season.

John Ramage has 8 points in 18 games at the University of Wisconsin, and considering he had 12 points in 47 games last year, thats a HUGE improvement.

Bill Arnold is hard to judge. He put up 23 points in 26 games with the USHL last season, and now he's put up 6 points in 16 games at Boston University in a very limited role. The jury is still out on this one, but he's having a good season for a guy who was drafted in the late fourth round.

Michael Ferland has unfortunately suffered an injury, otherwise his stats could be quite different. He got off to a great start with 10 points in 16 games starting off on the third line and worked his way up to the second line before getting hurt. Considering his career high was 28 points, he without a doubt would have had a career year.

Most surprising perhaps is Patrick Holland, who has 24 points in 28 games in the WHL playing on the second line. His old career high is 36 points in 59 games, so again its likely that he will have a career year.

While I completely concur that Sutter ****ed up with the Jokinen trade, you don't give enough credit to the Bourque trade, nor the fact that almost every single one of the prospects he did draft are on pace for career years.

Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote