Toni Lydman (25)
Robyn Regehr (23)
Rhett Warrener (27)
Andrew Ference (24)
Denis Gauthier (26)
Steve Montador (23)
Mike Commodore (23)
Brennan Evans (21)

Without the injuries on the blue line, the Doors and certainly not Evans don't get a sniff at game time in the playoffs. While that's it for the depth, it was a pretty young group that was certainly capable in the "old" NHL and while a few extra bodies wouldn't hurt, it wasn't imperative that they needed to add someone immediately. The shortage at centre (Taratuhkin was the only one in the system who might have been able to step in at the NHL level) was greater than the shortage at defense. If it was Sutter who wanted to draft Phaneuf and the scouts wanted to draft someone else (I recall hearing their next choice was off the board, some guy named Mike Richards) perhaps it is Sutter's interference with the scouting staff and their decisions that should be his cause for losing his job; and the scouting staff should stay after all?
You should know I'd never say that Sutter should keep his job... but in no way would I fault him for the 2003 draft... lets be fair here Dion was a Norris nominee then from some unknown reason seemed to regress... I don't know if it wasinjuries or what but in no way would I fault anyone for taking Dion in the 1st round in 2003... however after taking Dion in round 1 there was no reason to take another defenseman in the 2nd round, nor was there a reason to trade down to acquire 2 extra picks... personally I would have kept the 2nd round picks and drafted a center and a goaltender (in hindsight Bergeron and Howard)

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote