View Single Post
Old
12-11-2010, 01:49 PM
TinordiandSubban

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcat1 View Post
I wonder what Detroit'll be like when some of their older players are gone.

Holmstrom (37), Lidstrom (40) & Rafalski (37)are nearing the end of their time.

Datsyuk (32) & Franzen (31) are still young, I know, but they're reaching a time where injuries may become more of an issue for them.

Though they're minor players on the team, Draper (39) & Salei (36) and maybe Bertuzzi (35) are getting up there.

That's lots of terrific talent and experience and the Wings are justifiably reaping the benefits of that.

Nevertheless, who's going to replace them? Abdelkader, Helm, Hudler, Ericsson & Kindl?

I don't think so.

I'm guessing that, in about three (four at the most) years, Detroit'll be mainly Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Howard. They'll be accompanied by a bunch of mid-talented role players. Something like the Penguins but with two 'Sydney Crosbys'.

(By the way, THE up and coming team seems to be the Flyers. The Kings, the Oilers, the Coyotes(?) & the Bruins are also potential contenders in the 'who's gonna be more of a threat in the next few years' category.

Our boys will get better, I imagine, but certainly not to the extent of the Flyers unless they get some ridiculously unexpected developments from their existing prospects and/or unexpectedly terrific draft picks and/or some really talented players unexpectedly decide to come over to our team without blowing away the cap.

That's all OK 'cause this is fun, whatever happens.)
Was working on the Wings prospects recently, gotta give them credit for great scouting and development, lotta depth and they spend a long time learning to play the game a certain way before they make the big club.

But the hard facts are that there is no one even close to replacing Detroit's key players and time is running out.

Montreal's young core however is coming out guns blazing (Price, PK, Lars, Benny, Pleks, AK46 and Lapierre) and the next wave of prospects (Patches, Palushaj, Nash, Avtsin, White and Weber) are going to get a thorough education on playing Habs hockey before they get thrown into the mix.

Wings will still be a good team and maybe Brendan Smith, Pulkkinen, Jarnkrok, Mitch Callahan, Nestrasil and Tomas Tatar will make a new core as good as the old one.

The future looks very bright for the Habs though, last night was a test against the best and that third period served notice that there is a new challenger.