Thread: It sickens me
View Single Post
Old
10-07-2003, 06:38 PM
Alfie#11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
not caring is being disrespectful. It's not up to individuals to decide what respect is, but up to society - and it has been very clear for a long, long, long time about the hat business. You have all the freedom in the world to "wear whatever". The simple fact is that you would then be considered disrespectful. Or atleast by me, and a great majority of society. The problem is there are to many of these gothic/Punk (don't take offense to this as there are many Gothic and Punk people that have more respect for things then the average joe schmoe. I hate to generalize, but I'm going to) that lack propriety and respect, and the "I don't care what other people think" is becoming a far to common mind set.
To be fair, hip hop kids and fat middle aged men wear hats inappropriately as well. Slobs abound these days.

You are right about the society angle though. Manners and etiquette are what help people get along together, to have a healthy society. The whole "I don't care" attitude is a lack of respect for others. While a lot of people adopt this attitude toward others, they sure do get offended when someone does something rude to them. Plus, it's something small. This isn't about some important cultural, religious or political dissent. It's just immature selfishness - thumbing your nose at others.