Old
12-12-2010, 05:56 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
1. Very Rarely was he booed. But he was a key to our backline as far as production. Not on the list and better than Jimmy was the Moose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
I beg to disagree... He may have been the only Broad Street Bully Era player to be booed on a regular basis. With that said; it was never really mean hearted like with Carkner... and he had many fans. I'd say that ever even those who were his fans booed him at time, as crazy as that sounds.
I forget where I read it but supposedly Bladon had multiple medical conditions (perhaps allergies and/or something else) which required certain meds that if mixed affected his play for the negative, though it wasn't immediately detected or known by outsiders.

In the game he had eight points, he was also a +10.

Also, I came across this on the Flyers' site:

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=435800

Quote:
Nicknamed “Sparky” (because of his quiet demeanor), Bladon was an under-appreciated part of the Flyers’ success in the 1970s. Routinely cracking double-digit goals and between 35 to 53 points per season, Bladon set a single-game point record for a defenseman when he scored four goals and added four assists in a December 11, 1977 game against the Cleveland Barons.

Bladon sometimes heard boos because he was not a physical defenseman and had occasional problems with turnovers. Nevertheless, he was a +186 for his six-year Flyers career and had back-to-back seasons in which he topped +40 for the season.

Often paired with Bladon on the Flyers, third round selection (39th overall) Jimmy Watson became the backbone of the Philadelphia defense in the 1970s and early 1980s. Despite being a modest point-getter, he was chosen for five NHL All-Star games and the 1976 Canada Cup team.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote