View Single Post
Old
06-13-2005, 06:36 PM
FlyersFan10*

vCash: 500
Umberger will be going nowhere. If we even remotely consider dealing for a defenseman, it will be wingers that will be moved. Besides, I don't think Kappanen will be coming back anyways. Even though he said he would be back previously, I think that with his knee surgery and being home in Finland, he just might end up staying.

There will be a roster spot made for Umberger to play the wing. I don't think we're in a position to even look at dealing away any more youth. Eager isn't ready (although I will say that Eager was misused down with the Phantoms - if they would have put him with some talented players his offensive game really would have developed), Ruzicka isn't ready, and other than Richards and Carter, there aren't any other top line offensive players ready.

If Kappanen does retire, it opens a huge hole on a line with Primeau. I'd think that Umberger could fit there quite nicely. Let's not forget that he does have some size and can generate some offense for himself as well. Put Knuble on that line and they can make things really interesting. Maybe it's just me, but I could see lineups consisting of the following:

Gagne - Carter - Sharp
(possible free agent - Cory Stillman anyone?) - Richards - Roenick
Knuble - Primeau - Umberger
Fedoruk - Handzus - Radivojevic

It's really not that bad of a lineup. We've got the kids playing some important roles and more importantly, getting excellent ice time. They're all paired with veteran players who can make an impact. Like I said for line #2, Cory Stillman would be a wonderful fit on that line. He isn't going to cost too much either and I think he can be a benefit.

As for our defense, ewww, stinky. I'm so worried about our defense. We have literally next to nothing and unless Hitch decides that it's time for Seidenberg and Pitkanen to get a ton of minutes, there is no way that the two youngsters get top 4 ice time. And that's what kind of angers me about Hitch. His insistence on using veterans over giving playing time to younger players. These kids need the ice time. The veterans in Philadelphia have won him nothing. Pair Seidenberg with Markov, pair Pitkanen with Jonsson or Desjardins. But for the love of God, give the kids ice time.