View Single Post
Old
06-13-2005, 10:22 PM
FlyersFan10*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com
If you think that the Flyers defense is so stinky and you are so worried about it, why not trade Umberger for a solid d-man instead of relegating him to the 3rd line and converting him to wing?

I disagree with your comments about Hitch and his use of Seidenberg and Pitkanen this coming season. I would expect both guys to see a lot of icetime in the 05-06 season. After watching the Phantoms play all season long, I think Hitch is going to have a change of heart when it comes to giving ice time to younger players.
I say not to trade Umberger because that's what we always do. We always trade talented youth away. Other than the Justin Williams deal, all of the other young talent we dealt away, we either got a pending UFA in return (Zhamnov, that greedy pr!ck, but don't get me started on that) or it went for a forward who wasn't going to be a player in the system we use (Comrie).

Now, I'm not going to say that I'm not happy what Comrie brought us, but we didn't get a defenseman back. That's the thing. We've dealt all our young defenders and when we dealt them, we didn't get any defensive prospects in return. I say we don't deal Umberger simply because that's the easy thing to do. Besides, if you take a look at the possible line ups, we can always move Sharp to a line with Primeau and put Umberger on a line with Gagne and Carter.

This is a pleasant problem to have. We have great depth that we can now mix and match lines accordingly and not have to worry about who plays where......just as long as we don't put any of our youngsters with Brashear and Somik.

And as for Hitch not wanting to use young players, you need to look no further than his time in Dallas and you can see how reluctant he was to use any of the rookies. His reluctance to use rookies nearly cost Jamie Langenbrunner his career. He nearly ruined him. Did you notice that Dallas never had any young defensemen in the line up either? Why do you think that was? Hey, all what I'm going to say about Hitch is that he is unbelievably tough on young players and at times, he's been rougher on youngsters than what Mike Keenan was. Hitch needs someone to slap him upside the head and get him to clue in that these kids are gonna make mistakes and that's part of the learning curve. I have no confidence in him what so ever to develop our youngsters. Look at what he did to Williams. And we have him moulding our crown jewels in Richards and Carter. That scares me. Unless he lightens up a bit, he's gonna ruin them. Mark my words on that.