View Single Post
Old
12-15-2010, 10:38 AM
northernKing

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Tony,

I am missing your point, are you saying DL went after Smyth because there was no one else to trade for or sign?

I'm not singling you out because I am not sure of your previous opinion, but so many people argued that Dean did not trade for Smyth in desperation because everyone else was gone.

The fact remains, in a cap era, you need to spend your money wisely. It is realistic to expect a team to have about three elite players making upwards of 6 million. The Kings will have two elite players making 6+ next season in Kopitar and Doughty and then Ryan Smyth as the 3rd guy. Until his contract is gone the Kings are going to have a hard time adding another scoring forward such as Richards or Semin.

And it's not like this contract can be buried in Manchester (Redden/Souray) or traded, he has both a no-trade and no-movement clause.
No movement clause. Maybe LA can move the Ontario reign to LA for a year? LOL! Ya the Smyth deal is going to hurt LA but IMO they will be able to sign DD JJ and Simmonds AND still add a scorer as an UFA if need be. Williams will/should be signed too, but guys like Handzus are questionable. I'd love to keep him on a one yr deal at $2-2.5M but he may get a better offer. Also Stoll will likely be moved if cap room is needed especially if LA brings in another center like Richards.

northernKing is offline   Reply With Quote