View Single Post
Old
12-16-2010, 12:11 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
I'm not going back to find it, but I swear in the last week or two you argued in a post that Quick really wasnt better this season, but the team in front of him was.
... I've said all season that he's been better. He has been much more solid, he's not giving up the soft goals he gave up last season. But then, I said he was wonderful in the Detroit game about five times before you noticed it. I suppose we don't see what we don't want to see. You have it in your mind that because I haven't anointed Quick the next great goaltender, I must be anti-Quick.

Quote:
Man, it just goes to show that statistics can be used to prove anything, including the points you think you're not making. Intellectual ping pong is all they are good for, and in the end they "prove" nothing.
... What does this even mean? Don't you use stats to prove Quick is better this season than he was last season? Didn't you use a stat (51 saves) to back up your assertion that he stole the Detroit game? It's the same as quite a few people here - they hate stats, unless the stats agree with their opinions. Isn't intellectual back-and-forth the point of a message board in the first place?

Quote:
By your own argument, JQ is better. The Kings are giving up more shots and not only is JQ saving more actual shots, he is saving a higher percentage of them too.
... See, you catch on fast! Good job.

Quote:
As for relying on it, Don't you worry about that. You're not on the ice (in fact I don't know if you ever even played the game).
... I stopped playing the game a while back because of injuries. Don't see where it's even relevant whether I played the game or not; does it invalidate my opinions if I hadn't? Does someone need to be a hockey player to understand hockey? If so, that's news to me.

Quote:
But every team I have ever played on, every team I have ever coached, every team I've ever watched or heard about with the possible exception of the Edmonton Oilers (Gretzky era) RELIED on their Goaltender being as good as he could be. The Kings players and the management and us fans RELY on JQ, and if he falters we'll RELY on JB. We have to, thats the nature of the position.
... I saw the Kings post a winning record and earn a playoff berth last season despite poor goaltending. I've seen teams win with very ordinary goaltending. I've seen teams lose despite excellent goaltending. The goalie is simply one aspect of a hockey club - no more, no less. If the five guys in front of a goalie play extremely well, even an average or poor goalie can succeed. If the five guys in front of a goalie play poorly, even the best goalies can and do have problems.

Quote:
AS the saying goes: Offense wins games, but Defense wins championships.
... I posted something not long ago - about the last 25 championship teams. Lemme see if I can find it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... Well that's a philosophy issue, and the big problem I have with it is that this whole tried and true axiom of "defense wins championships" is largely a myth if you go back and look at past Cup champions. Sure, those champions ramped up their game defensively in the playoffs in certain cases, but it is by and large the teams who have more on the offensive end that win it all. The teams that know they can open it up and score goals if they need them are far more likely to win games and playoff series. Go back over the last 25 or 26 years. How often do you see the champion missing the top 9 in scoring? Twice, and those were the New Jersey teams in '95 and '03. In the last five seasons alone, a couple teams which were below average defensively (Carolina and Pittsburgh) still won the Cup.
Quote:
And in hockey, defense begins and ends at the goal line.
... I'm shocked that you've played the game and have this opinion. I'm shocked you've been a Kings' fan all this time and you have this opinion. How many times did the Kings of the last three decades give up odd-man rushes which led to goals? Or get outnumbered down low in front of their net? Or pick the puck out of their net after failing to clear the zone? "Defense" consists of a few things that tie together - part of defense is offense, part of it is containment, part of it is goaltending. A team can have the best body checkers and shot-blockers, the most defensive awareness in the World ... but if those players can't execute a breakout, or keep the puck in the offensive zone for any length of time, the team is going to have a bad defense. There's no getting around it. You can't have one without some of the other.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote