Old
12-16-2010, 07:48 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Cannon View Post
The Giants made the playoffs on the last day of the year. They got lucky that the Padres "collapsed" and for that matter that the Braves beat the Phillies. (yes I know this happened to the Phillies) It seems that every year theirs a different team from the NL West that asserts itself and then the next year another team does. Pat Burrell carried the damn team during the stretch run. I just wouldn't be surprised if they did not make the playoffs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
The Giants weathered the perfect storm last year. All due respect, it's not a smart bet to consider them contenders anymore than anyone else right now. (And, yeah, I'm aware this happened with us in '08, but we're built much differently.)
I agree that things worked out perfectly for them and got into the playoffs by the skin of their teeth. But now they'll have Posey for a full season and Sandoval will likely have a rebound. And that pitching staff is one of the best in the league, hands down. Even if Bumgarner is just a flash in the pan, Cain and Lincecum are legit aces and Sanchez is as good as any #2 or #3 in the league (besides in Philly, of course). The west is a weak division. The Dbacks aren't doing anything and the Padres are going to have trouble filling the gap left by Garland and Gonzalez. Colorado will be their only competition and like I said before, they aren't all that intimidating outside of a few players.