View Single Post
Old
12-17-2010, 11:21 AM
Prussian_Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by billycanuck View Post
My question to you and everyone else in this forum is could a Single A league similar to the SPHL survive in the Northeast? Danbury has proven it could support a club, Troy has a decent rink, even Hyannis, MA has a new facility.
I believe that a "bus" league built around Danbury, Brooklyn, and Troy (OH) could work, with Danbury and Troy being the geographical limits. Find three more markets within that geographical footprint, and make sure that the markets all have solid financing and a real medium-to-long-term business plan, and it could work.

Would need a minimum 60-game schedule (balanced; each team plays all others 12 times in a season) for maximum home revenue generation without overexposure; these "pro" leagues that want to play 40-game schedules are shooting themselves in the foot.

Get your six markets, and build each of them on solid foundations before even considering expansion. Roster limit 23 players (13 forwards, seven defensemen, three goalies) max, salary cap < $10K/week (players average about $400/week).

The only real issue I see is that most markets in that footprint, that have a suitable facility, are already host to a minor pro or NCAA club.