Thread: News Article: Hockey News Phaneuf-Stajan trade
View Single Post
Old
12-17-2010, 12:54 PM
Northern Neighbour

vCash: 500
I admittedly have never been a fan of Stajan's. His point totals are a bit overstated given that he received #1 centre minutes in Toronto but provided 2nd-line production. Now that he's playing a 2nd- and 3rd-line minutes, we've witnessed a precipitous decline in production. I don't think that's a coincidence.

My other issue with Stajan's contract isn't directly related to Stajan. Instead, I just thought the team could have better used the cap space and gone after a #1 centre or at least a more skilled player. As I mentioned, if Stajan's contract was allowed to lapse and the team didn't have Staios' or Kotalik's contract, the team would have a lot more room to manuevre under the cap to acquire a #1 centre. Also, if Sutter did his homework and looked around the league to see which teams were up against the cap, he likely would have been able to find some deals. For instance, Marc Savard is still available because of the Bruins' cap issues (and everyone knew about it in the off-season), and Savard seems willing to come to Calgary. But the Flames don't have the cap space to make such a move.

Stajan's contract is just one of a long line of bad (or not very strategic) decisions by Sutter.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote