View Single Post
Old
06-17-2005, 04:44 PM
jfont

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikolai19
I was in Corona and in my office when it started to rattle. Being that this was about the 100th of these I've been in within the last 29 years, I was pretty calm. Unfortunately, I cannot say the same for some of my halfwitted co-workers.

Women tend to get a little shaken (no pun intended) but you would be amazed at how many people don't know common sense about earthquakes and who live in California. There are two things about California you need to learn when you come in.

First, Spanish. Learn Spanish or be inferior. I am still amazed that they even give the option of teaching French to kids in SoCal anymore. If you take French in HS and you live in California, you should be promptly exited from the state to Quebec or that general region, where the language WILL HELP YOU GET BY! Secondly, earthquake safety is one of the easiest lessons to learn. I saw a lady yesterday, in her early 50's in my office, spinning around like a top when the quake was happening. When she came around on one pass, I told her to get under a doorway. She looked at me as if I had asked her to explain the Treaty of Versailles in less than 10 seconds. When she did not respond quickly and the spinning continued, I lost it a little bit and said, "Get under the F#$%ing doorway, Linda!" At that point she moved to a safer area. I had to do this with several people who were so retarded they just kind of sat there, deer in headlights style. Funny thing is, these are lifelong So Cal people. Didn't we learn to get under a desk or in a doorway when we are like 5 years old? Anyway, I think if I can use some cleaner language, I might be promoted to Official Earthquake Safety Guy based on what some people thought was my specific "expertise" in this field.

I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks (or slightly less intelligent dogs as well)
I hear ya...but sometimes stress does certain things to people...It may very well that Linda knew what to do when an earthquake comes but she was so stressed that its happening that she couldn't really make sense of it all and make the appropriate action.