View Single Post
Old
10-08-2003, 07:27 AM
discostu

vCash: 500
Saw the thread title, which caught my eye. Here's some comparisons from a Sens point of view:

These are rough comparisons, so even if a slight edge goes to one player, I'll still mark it down as equal.

Alfie = Smyth, this one has been discussed. Two star players and captains for their team.

Havlat = Comrie, Both are similar talents, however, both have played different roles so far in their career. Havlat, as the third best player at his position on his team, while Comrie has been pushed as the #1 Centre on the team for the past couple of years. However, both have the skill to give them that "star" label, plus, both are holdouts, so the comparison is inevitable.

Spezza = Hemskey: Spezza's got the edge, personally, but Hemsky's certainly starting to gain some attention for what he's going to do this year.

Schastlivy = Dvorak. Both guys have some great offensive potential, however, both are held back by injuries. Both probably have similar upsides if they do manage to get in 70+ games this season.

White = York. Both are smaller centres/LW that will produce in the 50 to 60 point range.

After those, the comparison become a bit of a stretch, and Ottawa's depth wins out. Not compared at this point, Ottawa has:
Hossa, Bonk, Smolinksi, Fisher, Schaefer, Varada, Neil

While Edmonton has:
Isbister, Reasoner, Torres, Horcoff, Pisani, Moreau, Laraque

Those comparisons start to favour Ottawa pretty heavily. Edmonton still has a good forward core. I would probably rank it around 10th to 15th or so in the league. A lot of the depth guys are pretty young and inexperienced though, so a lot of how well this team will do will depend on how well these guys handle increased roles.