View Single Post
Old
12-22-2010, 01:11 AM
Et le But

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
On some level I wish I could say Martin's mistake with AK just blew up in his face. But that's just not what happened.

Oh, sure, it hurt the team. But AK wouldn't have made the difference. The reality is that it was just a classic blowout. One team gets a lot of goals on not very many chances, the game goes out of control, and before you know it it's garbage time. The goalie has a bad night, bounces or just not in it. Or whatever.

These games happen during a season and they're completely meaningless. They are not the result of a genuine differential in quality of play. Montreal could just as easily blow out Carolina next game.

Shot attempts tonight: 72-38. For Montreal. And the shot chart in nhl.com is worth a look. It's not like Dallas controlled the play all the time. It's a normal tendancy to think that the team that is a lot behind in the score got pasted in all phases of the game, but hockey rarely works that way.

These games are hard on morale though. Now is not the time for JM to make another boneheaded panic move. Good lines, good match-ups, stability, this is what will pull the Habs out of the hole. His ham-fisted approach will only make things worse.
AK would not really have been the difference maker, not for a blowout. But the move only hurt us - for all the hate Kostitsyn gets, he's a hard hitter and has rarely been lazy in that regard this year, something we could have used.

I agree with your post though, thanks for being one of the voices of reason. We need tweaks right now to steady the ship, not over-management.